Neuromuscular training warm-up in the prevention of overuse lower extremity injuries in children's football: A cluster-randomized controlled trial

Matias Hilska, Mari Leppanen, Tommi Vasankari, Benjamin Clarsen, Sari Aaltonen, Roald Bahr, Heidi Haapasalo, Jari Parkkari, Pekka Kannus, Kati Pasanen

Research output: Contribution to journalArticleScientificpeer-review

Abstract

The objective of this study was to examine the effect of a neuromuscular training (NMT) warm-up on the prevalence of overuse lower extremity (LE) injuries in children's football. Twenty Finnish U11-U14 youth football clubs (n = 1409 players; females 280, males 1129; age range 9-14) were randomized into intervention and control groups containing 10 clubs each (intervention: 44 teams, n = 676 players; control: 48 teams, n = 733 players). The intervention group performed a structured NMT warm-up operated by team coaches for 20 weeks. The main outcome measure was the prevalence of football-related overuse LE injuries and injuries were tracked via weekly text messages. The average weekly prevalence of overuse LE injuries was 11.6% (95% CI: 11.0%-12.2%) in the intervention group and 11.3% (10.7%-11.9%) in the control group. The most common anatomical locations were the knee (weekly prevalence 6.0% in the intervention group and 5.7% in the control group) and heel (2.4% and 2.6%). There was no difference in the prevalence of overuse LE injuries between the groups: odds ratio (OR) 1.01 (95% CI: 0.99-1.03). In conclusion, NMT warm-up was equal to standard practice warm-up in preventing overuse LE injuries in children's football during a follow-up of 20 weeks.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)849-858
Number of pages10
JournalTranslational sports medicine
Volume4
Issue number6
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - Nov 2021
Publication typeA1 Journal article-refereed

Keywords

  • children
  • football
  • injury prevention
  • neuromuscular training
  • overuse injuries
  • youth
  • MALE SOCCER PLAYERS
  • SPORTS
  • EPIDEMIOLOGY
  • STATEMENT
  • PROGRAM

Publication forum classification

  • Publication forum level 1

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Neuromuscular training warm-up in the prevention of overuse lower extremity injuries in children's football: A cluster-randomized controlled trial'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this